FreeBSD unstable on Dell 1750 using SMP?

Palle Girgensohn girgen at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 18 12:46:06 GMT 2005

--On torsdag, augusti 18, 2005 14.30.44 +0200 Rutger Bevaart
<rutger.bevaart at illian.net> wrote:

> It seems that updating our machine to 5.4-p5 (RELEND_5_4) has solved this,
> or at least made it occur less frequently. Our last reboot was after
> building and installing the new kernel and it hasn't gone down since.

Very interesting. We're still at 5.4-p1. The version bump fixes didn't look
like they were addressing stability, only security, but why not...

> This
> is with SMP, ACPI and HT enabled on a Dell 1750 with two 3GHz Xeons.

Pretty identical to our system.

>  The
> 2850 has been rock-stable running 5.4-p3.

And you never ran previous versions on that system?

> Whatever is was, it seems to
> have been fixed around that time.
>
> Could be that your issues are amd64 related. We run the i386 branch
> because we need stable systems, not 64bit.

I have indications that the problems have occured equally on i386 and
amd64, and that amd64 is considered stable, but that might not be quite
true?

Regards,
Palle