Multiprocessing for network protocol stack

Venkatesh.Babu at nokia.com Venkatesh.Babu at nokia.com
Mon Oct 18 13:25:29 PDT 2004

 We have a proprietary OS, which is a variant of FreeBSD 2.x and has
extensive changes to protocol stack. We are planning to migrate to the
latest FreeBSD like 4.x or 5.x to get multiprocessor support. So I am
trying to evaluate these options.

 How good the network protocol stack takes advantages of the multi
processor in 5.x ?

 What parallelizing paradigm (Connection level parallelism / Packet level
parallelism / processor per message / predictable parallel protocol
processing) is implemented for network protocol stack (like TCP/IP) in
BSD 5.x ?

 Are there any benchmarks on the performance analysis of network protocol
stack on multiprocessor system ?

 Thanks,
 VBabu