New Dell 2650 notes from the field?

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Wed May 26 12:54:45 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:36:45PM +0200, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2004.05.26 13:39:21 -0400, Gerald wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up FreeBSD on a few dual Xeon Dell 2650s to be deployed soon.
> > I can make do with a single proc until FreeBSD has more mature SMP
> > ability. I'm actually going to roll it out as a 4.8 box and upgrade to 4.9
>
> I have been using FreeBSD SMP for several years and it has been working
> just fine.
>
> > Does anyone have any pointers about FreeBSD + or - SMP on these
> > Poweredge 2650's under a decent load? I saw one post where someone
>
> Why don't you just test them and simulate some heavy load?
>
> I have used a few of those for the last couple of months and they have
> worked without any problems, but they have been under "light-medium"
> load.

My canonical test is to do a "make -j 12" for a kernel. I've never had
one lock up yet, but it does make 'em hum pretty good. If your Dell
locks up on that, you can pretty much expect it to lock up under other
heavy loads.

There may be some synthetic loads that let you dial in the degree of
CPU busy, concurrency, etc., that you want; I don't do enough of this
to be aware of them.

Please keep us aware of any problems you encounter.

--
Mike Andrews
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin