Worse performance with SCHED_ULE?

yangshazhou at hotmail.com yangshazhou at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:58:39 PDT 2004

Hi all,
    I've benched SCHED_4BSD and SCHED_ULE in 4-way Xeon box, 5.2.1-release,
with lmbench and volanomark. Both benchmarks show performance decreasing.
                SCHED_4BSD        SCHED_ULE
lat_proc fork    570                570
lat_ctx  10       6.1                14.8
lat_ctx 150        10.45             16.6
volanomark        7024                4607

    I built sun jdk1.4.2 with libkse as native thread. If with libc_r as
native thread, the result is incredible 6161 and 10643, showing SCHED_ULE
brings big boost with libc_r. libc_r is user-level thread lib, we know. Is
there anything wrong?

    Is ULE scheduler stable in 5.2.1? We experienced a lot of errors when
running apache benchmarks.