intel procressor, the same but different ??? will smp work ???

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Sun Apr 11 16:55:58 PDT 2004

Hi,

jonathan michaels wrote:
> greetings all,
>
> naging me for a while. i am about to build a 2 processor freebsd host.

> pair of intel pentium pro (180 mhz kind) that i've gotten from a couple
>
> my question is will smp mmode wotk with similar but not identical type

There is no general answer to this. Intel has had some problems with
early Pentium Pro CPUs when it came to SMP. If your CPUs belong to the
affected steppings, FreeBSD will not work in SMP mode like no other
operating system.

I would just try it. Start with one CPU. Test each CPU alone in the box
and then build the SMP kernel with only one CPU installed, reboot and
test FreeBSD. If it runs, insert the second one.

Erich