upgrade from 4.8 SMP to 4.9 SMP causes unexplained rebooting!

Chuck Rock carock at epconline.com
Sat Apr 3 17:52:00 PST 2004

We had the same problem. We had a mchiane to upgrade, so we thought we'd
just put a fresh install on another box, and move data.

I have not been able to get FreeBSD 4.9 to run under a heavy load on any
Dell 2450 or 2550 servers. I can' only get good results from Compaq
servers, or single CPU systems.

I also tried running  5.2.1 on three different Dell 2550's. They all
worked great under similar load testing, but when put into production, all
of them started locking up or rebooting within a few days, and it got
worse as time went on.

We finally gave up and bought a refurb Compaq, and has been running 5.2.1
in production under heavy loads for 130+ days.

Chuck