MSI-9105-LR and Audio....

Joerg Pernfuss elessar at galgenberg.net
Mon Jun 2 15:09:56 PDT 2003

> > The problem accours randomly, the system:
> > a) freezes or
> > b) reboots directly.
> > No error message, no log file hint, nothing.
> > Without sound the system runs without any problems.
> > Sometimes after 8 hours up, sometimes 30 minutes.
> > I am running 4.8 Stable without any tweaks, no patches, no hacks,
> > no sysctls, no weird cflags.
> >
> > The Hardware is (short version):
> > MSI 9105 MotherBoard with NIC and RAID (i82555 an Promise FastTrack)
> > VIA Pro266T Chipset
> > Dual Intel Pentium3-S 1.4GHz/512 L2
> > GF2 based video crad
> > Adaptec 2940 U/UW (2 Plextor CD Drives)
> > Intel E.Express/Pro 100 Manag.
> > Mylex AcceleRAID 250 (no HDD at the moment)
> > 3 ATA HDDs
>
> i will hopefully have a smp box that i can use to test this in a month or
> so.  i'll try to reproduce it, though yours is the only problem report of
> this type that i'm aware of.
>
> 	-cg

Hello,

long time since my last posting, but, now back again.

I did a little testing in the mean time:

The box runs perfect with:
-freeBSD SMP Kernel without Sound
-freeBSD Uni Kernel with Sound and DevPolling
-freeBSD Uni Kernel with Sound and no DevPolling
freeBSD means here: cvs build freeBSD 4.8-Stable (RELENG_4)

I also tested some other OS (namely Win2k Pro SP2 and BeOS 5 Max. Ed),
both do work with smp and sound as far as I can tell (had none of them
booted for more than one day).

Maybe that helps somebody.

Joerg