PIII SMP

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 31 01:26:15 PDT 2003

John Stockdale wrote:
> Alright its been awhile since I bought PIIIs but I looked around ...
> let me just be another person to first reiterate the need that both
> processors be the exact same model, stepping, revision. This can be
> verified by one of the spec codes on the box (I forget which one).
> Different steppings = good chance that they won't work in a SMP setup.
> Also a warning I came across from the page (
> http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/prodbref/
> index.htm?iid=ipp_dlc_procp3p+prodb_p3p& ):

BTW: let me point out: if you have a "Slot 1" board *DO NOT*
get those "Slot 1 - to - Socket 370" adapters and try to get
SMP to work with Socket 370's installed in the adapters on
your Slot 1 board -- it's not going to work correctly for
you, so if you were thinking about that, give up on the idea
right now, and just buy a different motherboard, if you can't
get a matched set of SMP-capable Slot 1's.

-- Terry