PIII SMP

John Stockdale jstockdale at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 30 07:10:27 PDT 2003

Alright its been awhile since I bought PIIIs but I looked around ...
let me just be another person to first reiterate the need that both
processors be the exact same model, stepping, revision. This can be
verified by one of the spec codes on the box (I forget which one).
Different steppings = good chance that they won't work in a SMP setup.
Also a warning I came across from the page (
http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/prodbref/
index.htm?iid=ipp_dlc_procp3p+prodb_p3p& ):

* Note: Pentium® III processor at 1.33, 1.20 and 1.13 GHz does not
support Dual Processor. Please refer to the Pentium® III Processor
Quick Reference Guide for dual processor capability listed by processor
s-spec.

So the Quick Reference Guide should have all this kind of info ... a
direct link to that page is:

http://www.intel.com/design/PentiumIII/qit/

I believe the easiest way is to get the s-spec number off the processor
your looking at and then check on the Quick Reference Guild for dual
processor support for that revision.

I did actually look for the spec info for boxed PIII procs but I think
I'm being an idiot tonight and can't find the correct page at Intel.

Hopefully that helps.

-John
________
All errors and omissions in this email brought to you by the letters T,
I, R, E, and D.