maximum of CPUs

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 16 12:00:05 PDT 2003

On 16-Jul-2003 Terry Lambert wrote:
>> This is from the current code that is trying to renumber the I/O
>> APIC's since they collide with CPUs.  I've completely rewritten
>> all the mptable code, but I don't support renumbering I/O APICs
>> yet.  I was really hoping that the BIOS would help us out enough
>> to keep the IDs from overlapping.
>
> I thought it had to, to be MP Spec 1.4 compliant?!?

What had to be what to be compliant?

> This whole "stuff everything into ACPI and to hell with the
> standards" thing that vendors are doing on Intel these days
> is really, really annoying.

No, it's correct.  The mptable is quite limited and ACPI's
configuration mechanism is much cleaner.  Complaining about
ACPI in this matter only serves to display your ignorance of
what it is and how it works.  Please educate yourself on the
real issues first, thanks.