5.1-R-p2 crashes on SMP with AMI RAID and Intel 1000/Pro

Hartmann, O. ohartman at klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
Wed Aug 13 02:56:30 PDT 2003

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

:>On 2003.08.13 10:59:19 +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>
:>> It seems to me a never ending story. We run a box with a TYAN Thunder
:>> 2500 Dual SMP mainboard, 2GB ECC Tyan certified memory, AMI Enterprise
:>> 1600 RAID adapter and additional Intel 1000/Pro server type (64 bit)
:>> GBit LAN NIC. With FreeBSD 4.8 this was stable, but to achive this
:>> state was really hard! It is a story similar to that what happend when
:>> we changed towards FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p2 on this machine.
:>
:>Have you tried with a more powerful PSU?  I have had problems with Tyan
:>boards that were crashing very often, and it turned out to be a
:>bad/insufficient PSU.  It worked sometimes, and sometimes it just
:>crashed.
:>
:>Just a wild guess, but might be worth checking out.
:>
:>--
:>Simon L. Nielsen
:>FreeBSD Documentation Team
:>

Dear Simon.

Yes, we did. At this moment we have a redundant 300W PSU and it
worked fine.

I think if the PSU causes problems, typical hardware errors or spontanous
reboots might be a indicator, but not the problem of freezing kernel.
In earlier times, when we ordered the TYAN board and its housing, we were
made aware of this problem by some FreeBSD users which had problems with
low power PSU.

Thanks,
Oliver
--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman at mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
Systemadministration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)