Looking for Dual Athlon MP FreeBSD Version recommendations

thomas at chelseai.com thomas at chelseai.com
Mon Apr 14 07:33:27 PDT 2003

This coming weekend I'm planning on building a dual Athlon MP
2000+ server with a Chaintech 7KDD AMD 762 Motherboard
w/onboard IDE RAID. On my "current" box I've been running 4.X-
Stable, but it's a single cpu machine. It's primary function
will be an Apache web server.

I'm very interested in running 5.0 so that I can take
advantage of the SMP enhancements, but I'm also worried that
it may not be very stable for my configuration.

Assuming that those on this list have a lot more experience
running FreeBSD with multiple CPUs, what are your
recommendations?

Specifically, should I stick with 4.X-Stable, or start using
5.0? Are there widespread problems with 5.0, or do I have a
pretty good chance of having a stable system?

It's not mission critical in the sense that I can't build it,
then rebuild it if it turns out to not work out well, but
that's obviously a lot of work and wasted time that could be
avoided if I can get a warning that there is little chance
5.0 is stable enough to run on my configuration.

Also, if you have a recommendation for one or the other, are
there specific kernel/tuning parameters to make sure I
include or to make sure I avoid like the plague?

Thanks in advance for the benefit of your experience and
advice,

Thomas