System freezes with SMP support enabled

Aleksandr Melentiev tzap at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 9 14:58:12 PDT 2003

Here's an exact behavior when SMP support is enabled:

Hence, one network card is onboard which is an fxp0.

5.0-RELEASE:
Often spontaneous and constant 'watchdog timeouts' with different network
cards that I have tried including SMC 1255 and 3Com 3C905-TX. An Intel
Pro/100+ showed 'device timeout'. In all cases, system would stop
responding. In most cases network connection would dissapear. Sometimes it
would happen again on the first second after reboot. Onboard network card
didnt show any errors! Only the PCI cards did.

4.8-RELEASE:
Same behavior as above, only no error messages whatsoever, network
connection goes down and system locks up. It is not spontaneous, happens
only when I try to transfer >1MB files locally via ftp (tried several
different ftpd and clients too), maybe other ways of high-speed transfering
are affected too. However, if I throttle my ftp client's upload speed to
15KBytes/sec, it transfers without a problem and systems stays stable.

None of the above happens when SMP support is disabled.
I am attaching dmesg where SMP support is enabled. Might it be because of
the PCI bridge?

Regards,
Alex