namecache

Andrew R. Reiter arr at watson.org
Fri Apr 4 14:03:36 PST 2003

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:

:"Andrew R. Reiter" wrote:
:> Awhile back I shot a patch to this list for review that locked down some
:> stuff in the namecache arena.  I feel the patch was OK, but not great.
:>
:> What I want to do is something w/o any locks, but I dont feel I have a
:> good enough grasp of that code base to do something really well since I
:> know it would most likely require a rewrite of that code.  I know solaris
:> restructured their namecache implementation to do something similar.  Tho,
:> I am not sure about irix or others.
:>
:> To the point; anyone know of any good papers on this subject (namecache
:> implementations)?
:
:	Solaris Internals: Core Kernel Architecture
:	Jim Mauro, Richard McDougall
:	Prentice Hall
:	ISBN: 0130224960
:
:	The Magic Garden Explained: The Internals of Unix
:		System V Release 4: An Open Systems Design
:	Berny Goodheart, James Cox, John R. Mashey
:	Prentice Hall
:	ISBN: 0130981389
:
:The first one has a discussion of the structures and how they got
:rid of the locks in Solaris (they got rid of the LRU, as a list).
:
:Note: Both refer to it as "DNLC" or "Directory Name Lookup Cache".

I read the stuff in the Solaris book (I've got that one), but I've not
read the section in Magic Garden (despite owning it as well).

I'll read further.

Thanks!

Andrew
--