What's our standard "stripped-down FreeBSD" tool?

Eduardo Meyer dudu.meyer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 21:13:40 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Marc Fonvieille <blackend at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 03:21:50PM -0300, Eduardo Meyer wrote:
> >
> > I have been using all mentioned options, plus, minibsd. Honestly, I
> > would recommend anyone to use TinyBSD, as long as:
> >
> > - You dont need to do cross building;
> > - You can read a few instructions on a help screen or interactively
> > answer some questions;
> >
> > This is what I mention because TinyBSD wont do cross building because
> > it does not compile the whome world. Instead, it copies the already
> > compiled and in production ones. Also because tinyBSD have a good
> > README file, not no man page nor sgmlized docs.
> >
> > I know people are addressing those issues, regarding SGML doc, but it
> > does not exist right now. The first issue is also getting addressed on
> > the -CURRENT version of TinyBSD (cvs only, maybe on the website too -
> > tinybsd.org), but it is not ready. According to patrick tracanelli
> > TinyBSD  will heavily be addressed to build ARM systems. And to do so,
> > cross building is a must be. However, it is not present right now.
> >
> > I have added TinyBSD to flash discs, to CF cards, to memory sticks and
> > also on optical drives. On CD/DVD it is just a matter of building an
> > ISO with mkisofs and adding one extra line on kernel conf file. No
> > "special magic" that requires using a whole other framework.
> >
> > I can also choose if I want tinyBSD to act as a live system, depending
> > on the booted media, or if I want it to work as MFS system, which will
> > never access the media once it is booted. It is specially good on
> > memory sticks. It is a feature Julian Elischer contributed, if I
> > remember the commit message correctly.
> >
> > TinyBSD also have pre-defined config files ready to build, just like
> > picobsd used to. If you aim to make a FreeBSD system aimed for
> > PCEngine's WRAP for example, you will save yourself a LOT of work and
> > study on why NanoBSD, FreesBIE or anything else wont work on Wrap, and
> > do the necessary changes, while TinyBSD has a ready-to-go predefined
> > conf, so you will only spend your time on customization of the system.
> > Not studying how to make it, at least, boot.
> >
> [...]
>
> For the archives:
> http://pcengines.ch/wrap1c.pdf explains the problem and how to fix it.
> To sum up:
> Just remove atkbd*, psm and vga lines from your kernel configuration file.

If I remember well, it is not everything. There are other inherent
problems which may need some modification on boot source code or the
way the disk gets labelled. Just following the recommeded points in
this document wont make your freesbie/minibsd/nanobsd or even standard
tinybsd boot up the system. Unless things changed a lot recently =)

--
Eduardo Meyer
pessoal: dudu.meyer at gmail.com
profissional: ddm.farmaciap at saude.gov.br