TinyBSD available in the base system and 6.2-PRERELEASE image available online

Tom Simes simestd at netexpress.com
Mon Sep 25 11:37:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:04:46 -0300
Jean Milanez Melo <jmelo at freebsdbrasil.com.br> wrote:

> Since building embedded FreeBSD for PC Engine's Wrap (as well as
> Soekris boards) is one of the most common battles, we have just made
> available a TinyBSD image for 32MB CF. It is a "ready to run" image,
> Please, test TinyBSD in the base system if you can and send us
> feedbacks (privately or here in embedded@ or small@).

On Soekris 4521....

FreeBSD 6.2-PRERELEASE #0: Wed Sep 20 17:29:57 BRT 2006
    root at offset.freebsdbrasil.com.br:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TINYBSD
Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0
CPU: AMD Enhanced Am486DX4/Am5x86 Write-Back (Unknown-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x494  Stepping = 4
  Features=0x1<FPU>
panic: CPU class not configured
Uptime: 1s

Awww shucks.... so much for the image.  I saw "Soekris boards" and got
my hopes up.  Maybe I'll up a Qemu image of -CURRENT and give it a try.
As an aside, is there a particular reason you advocate using the PREFIX
variable when installing additional software rather than chrooting?  It
seems to me the latter would be simpler than trying to chase path
changes through subordinate dependencies.

(Ref: http://www.tinybsd.org/tinybsd/Documentation)

Disclaimer - I'm a newbie to TinyBSD although I've been playing with
NanoBSD and Pebble/Pyramid on my Soekris board for a while.

Tom

   "Z-80 system stack overflow.  Shut 'er down Scotty, the system's

Tom Simes                                       simestd at netexpress.com