FreeBSD's embedded agenda

Eduardo Meyer dudu.meyer at gmail.com
Thu May 25 10:28:58 PDT 2006

> NanoBSD works fine with "raw" flash as well because it is practically
> read-only.
>
> Writing a flash-friendly-filesystem would be a good project.

I would like to know why TinyBSD was not mentioned in this agenda, if
you do not consider adding this tool to FreeBSD officially.

TinyBSD in a number of ways is easier and more direct to the point
than NanoBSD (while NanoBSD seems more appropriated in other - few, to
me - ways), and than FreeSBIE which is too much general purpose.

In Health Depto in BR government we run TinyBSD a lot, while NanoBSD
was tried first. I dont think it worths getting deep in the meriths of
where/how/why one is better than one other, and where it is the
opposite.

But embedded systems have many different approaches and TinyBSD one
seems to be easy. They also seem more tested because it has pre
configured example for a number of use, including for PC Engine's WRAP
board which is a pain to make work in NanoBSD and also FreeSBIE (in
fact I gave up about freesbie on Wrap very soon).

Well, hope this project can be moved from ports to src. It is useful
for a number of people and would be much more useful for many others.

--
Eduardo Meyer
dudu.meyer at gmail.com
ddm.farmaciap at saude.gov.br