Embedded FreeBSD Presentation...

Murray Taylor MTaylor at bytecraft.com.au
Mon May 15 00:28:07 UTC 2006

George, Jim et al,

Have you looked at the miniBSD build system
described below?

I just ran an 'embedded' system during the
2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games to monitor the
lighting system datanet that was

Freebsd 4.11 based, handled SNMP trap monitoring, fping monitoring,
SNMP fetch queries and SMS notifications.

I had a DHCP server running on the main LAN, dhclient on the WAN port,
sshd login and about 60-70 of the basic programs
(vi, awk, more, grep, find, sh, csh, gsmsmsd... ) fully available to me.
All managed within a couple of shell scripts and a cron job or two.

Hardware: 300MHz 486, 32 Meg RM, and a 32 MEG CF flash disk.
kernel was minimally downsized by removal of unneeded functions,
and was loaded on the flash disk as kernel.gz, to be ungzipped
automagically during boot. All other programs had been rebuilt
to use dynamic libraries rather than static linkages to reduce the
binary sizes.

CF space used
	boot partition: approx 22 Meg of 28Meg
	config data partition: approx 20 Kilobytes of 4 Meg

NB Config data actually was all the shell scripts and my
.conf files. Done this way so that the config partition
could be mouunted R/W during shutdown to save all shell scripts
and config data that may have been edited / updated since boot.

Original minibsd
Freebsd 4.7 -> 4.11	https://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html
and derived works
Freebsd 5.x
http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=86
Freebsd 6.x
http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=125

I didnt do the original work, I just use it, and it is a blast.
Particularly useful is keeping a dnode mounted disk image of
the CF on the development host. Dead easy to copy new programs to
the vnode mount, unmount it, dd a new CF image, and run. Also
by temporarily mounting the miniBSD boot partition as R/W, one can
do a SCP copy of a file to the CF disk from the development host
over the WAN ....

Useful, you betcha!

Murray Taylor

Special Projects Engineer
Bytecraft Systems

P: +61 3 8710 2555
F: +61 3 8710 2599
D: +61 3 9238 4275
E: mtaylor at bytecraft.com.au

takes a
touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite
direction."
  Albert Einstein
--

The information transmitted in this e-mail is for the exclusive
use of the intended addressee and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of it, or the taking of any action
in reliance upon this information by persons and/or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please inform the sender and/or
addressee immediately and delete the material.

E-mails may not be secure, may contain computer viruses and
may be corrupted in transmission. Please carefully check this
e-mail (and any attachment) accordingly. No warranties are
given and no liability is accepted for any loss or damage
caused by such matters.