Embedded FreeBSD Presentation...

gnn at freebsd.org gnn at freebsd.org
Sun May 14 15:47:06 UTC 2006

At Sun, 14 May 2006 09:16:48 +0200,
Eduardo wrote:
> Is this really possible:? Sorry for be a bit unoptimist, but in the
> embeded space the o.s.must follow some rules that freebsd (nor
> linux, *bsd, windows, etc..) can't:
>
> - size: The o.s. must be minimal. Freebsd kernel, now, is a bit huge.
> - realtime: The o.s. must do some tasks at fixed times, this tasks
> can't wait for nothing.
>
> The size one can be fixed, but the realtime not. It needs a new
> scheleude, irq manager,...; so a great kernel rework.

Perhaps you mis-understand the thrust of this drive, in that we are
not talking about turning FreeBSD into an RTOS, at least not in the
short term, but about making it more amenable to embedded.

There is much to do but it will be a gradual process.  Size and
configuration are the first things to address.

> Also, you forget the PowerPC chips. They are in a lot of embedded
> devices and now freebsd has support for them (6.x).

We did not forget them but amongst those who have shown interest in
this project ARM and MIPS are the clear leaders.  If we find people
who wish to address the PowerPC chips as well, all the better.  One
other important component in this work is focus.  We cannot be all
things to all people, at least not at the outset, so two different
processors and two or three reference boards for each are where we
plan to start.

Later,
George