Ports and Mondifications

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Aug 21 19:11:11 UTC 2006

In message: <44D8BF49.1070008 at no-wire.net>
            Phill Hocking <phocking at no-wire.net> writes:
: You can do it the way phk does
: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-October/056974.html
: Basically this is the tough part. Any port that adds a user will fail.
: It's easier to just mount the image, cp over the packages, and then
: upload it to your running device. You also could just add them to the
: /usr/obj/wherever and run the last few steps of nanobsd.sh too.

At work, we do all kinds of hand-stands to build an image and get
users added to it in the right order...  We have a chroot where we
build the product.  We build ports, which add users to the chroot,
then make packages that we installed into a subdir of that.  Once
we've built and installed all the ports in the chroot, we copy the
password files to the destination and then install packages into
there.

This is somewhat convoluted, but does work well in practice...  The
one problem that we've started seeing lately is with cross building..

Warner