System Tree essentials UNDERSTANDING the system

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Sep 8 13:54:29 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 08:26:04PM +0000, Sandro Noel. wrote:
> Hey Brooks, thanks for leting me know i'm not the only one :)
> i was starting to feel kind 0f weird.
>
> There must be a way for me to find out,
> somehow the relations between the files -> functionality relating to system
> -> dependencies ( config files libraries or other programs )
> I might have a look at the source, but then again it's so easy to skip something in there.

There's no easy way to do this.  You will indeed need to analyze the
source of each component as well as understanding it's config files.  It
might be possible to use the audit framework (once committed) to create
a partial dependency graph of config files, but it would only report
files a program touches, not logical groups (such as the resolver) or
files realted to features not currently activated.

-- Brooks