System Tree essentials UNDERSTANDING the system

Sandro Noel snoel at gestosoft.com
Wed Sep 7 15:01:03 PDT 2005

Greetings Embedded Gurus.

I'm trying to build a system, so this is a brain dump of my needs and
questions.

For the past 3 month i have been scratching the net and book stores
to collect as much information as possible about the FreeBSD system,
tough the amount of information is quite satisfactory, and repeated
many times in all kinds of format, i'm still missing some information
to make me completely comfortable with what i want to achieve.

So far PicoBSD configuration and building it, makes it easy to build
a system, but i need more than that
the information i would really need to understand it all is:

I got myself Embedded FreeBSD cookbook  it's good if you want to
build a firewall. and some drivers (  not my wish at this time )

-What files are needed to build a bare system.
     the kernel and it's modules,
     configuration files,
     start-up scripts
     what else am i forgetting.

     What files are needed for WLAN networking to work, with or
without DHCP client.
     what are the files involved into video and sound output.

- and then there would be the explanation of what are the files in
the /bin and /sbin directories what are they used for.
     yes i know the meaning of the directory structure, and of course
i know about the ones i use,
     in a regular shell, but i want to know about the ones the system
can't live without.
     the ones that make it tick, and why.

I found that LDD is a magical tool.. :) to find lib dependencies.
I know i can find application dependencies into the port makefile,
witch is a BIG THAKNK YOU THE BSD team.

Yes i know i could use some else's efforts and copy their thing like
everyone else is doing, but i like to understand what i do before
getting into it.
this way, I know where my are mistakes when they happen, and it's
much faster to fix.

Thank you for any help you fine people can provide.

Sandro Noel
snoel at gestosoft.com