Separate password files on diskless boxes?

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Mon Oct 17 11:45:22 PDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 09:42:57 -0400
"Michael W. Lucas" <mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org> wrote:

> I'm using nanobsd.sh on 6.0RC to provide a small world for diskless
> boxes.  These are for small single-purpose machines -- i.e., DNS
> server, FTP server, etc, served off read-only NFS.  Nothing exciting
> there, it just works.
>
> The last problem I'm having is the password file.  I need to assign
> separate password files to each, and separate root passwords on each
> diskless station.  The problem, of course, is the MFS /etc, so changes
> are not permanent.
>
> Is there any way to make passwd(1) talk to a different password file?
> I really don't want to use read/write mounts on my NFS server.  Or,
> has anyone come up with a clever way to do this?  All the tutorials in
> Google talk about using the server's password file, which I
> specifically don't want to do...

you can use the /conf override directory as explained in
man diskless:

/conf/default/10.0.0.1/etc/master.passwd
/conf/default/10.0.0.1/etc/passwd

/conf/default/10.0.0.2/etc/master.passwd
/conf/default/10.0.0.2/etc/passwd

and so on.

marco
--
He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself
without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine,