Separate password files on diskless boxes?

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Mon Oct 17 06:42:58 PDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using nanobsd.sh on 6.0RC to provide a small world for diskless
boxes.  These are for small single-purpose machines -- i.e., DNS
server, FTP server, etc, served off read-only NFS.  Nothing exciting
there, it just works.

The last problem I'm having is the password file.  I need to assign
separate password files to each, and separate root passwords on each
diskless station.  The problem, of course, is the MFS /etc, so changes
are not permanent.

Is there any way to make passwd(1) talk to a different password file?
I really don't want to use read/write mounts on my NFS server.  Or,
has anyone come up with a clever way to do this?  All the tutorials in
Google talk about using the server's password file, which I
specifically don't want to do...

Thanks!

==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas	mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org

"The cloak of anonymity protects me from the nuisance of caring." -Non Sequitur