[Fwd: MD_ROOT and syslinux?]

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Mon May 9 02:20:37 PDT 2005

Hi Folks,

Has anyone tried using a FreeBSD 5.x kernel with MD_ROOT, and booting
off a FAT-formatted media with something like syslinux? I'd like to be
able to download new fs-images to a flash-booting system and still have
the ability to select which image to boot (something like Cisco IOS
images). Ideally the flash would be readable with a regular PC (hence
FAT) for upgrading too.

All the info I can find on this type of kernel+mfsroot booting is for
PXE rather than a local image... can anyone point me in the right
direction? I'm also concerned that there might be a maximum size for the
md_root device - my 'root' will actually be around 100MB in size - is
there an issue with large md_roots?

Thanks for any pointers,

Best Regards,

Howard