PicoBSD print server

Artyom Viklenko artem at mipk.kharkiv.edu
Tue Sep 7 05:44:53 PDT 2004

Hi!

I'm thinking about using PicoBSD with old 486 hardware
to create small dedicated print servers like small appliance
print servers from Planet, Intel, Surecom, etc.
I already have central printing service on FreeBSD host
which holds all queues and run filters. What I'm really
try to find out is some software which will run LPD protocol
in streamming mode without local spool or some implementation
of raw socket printer daemon which will send all incoming
data directly to the attached parallel printer.

Does anybody knows some such solutions or it should be
written from scratch?

The raw socket solution seems relatively ease to implement,
but maybe somebody already done this?

--
        Sincerely yours,
                          Artyom V. Viklenko.