login requirements?

Howard Jones howie at thingy.com
Tue Mar 30 12:50:13 PST 2004

Hi,

I'm building myself a DoM-booting FreeBSD 5.1 system, to replace some
aging Wyse WinTerms that we have around the office. I did this
successfully a couple of years ago with 4.5 with no trouble, so I know
it's basically good to go.

I'm doing it by building up the minimum system to run the binaries I
need (sshd, ssh, X, rdesktop). It's all working fine except for login.
Does anyone know what the minimum file set for login actually is? So
far I've copied libpam.so, login itself, all the pam_*.so modules,
login.conf and the pam.d/* files.

What I get is a message about "chunk already freed" whenever I attempt
to login, either on console, or over telnet/ssh. I assume that
something else is required and missing, but I can't figure out what -
any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Howard

[side question - the next stage after this is to try a pxeboot-based
version. I can't find much info about how to use a built-in md device
in a 5.x kernel though. Is this possible? I'd rather like to avoid
running an NFS server if I can...]