Paring down a FreeBSD system for flash drive use ?

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 15 04:04:47 GMT 2004

Murray Taylor <murraytaylor at bytecraftsystems.com> wrote:
Google for minibsd

http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

I have used miniBSD as a firewall box on an Advantech WEB-2143
quite successfully

mjt

Thanks - this is interesting.  However, this is still somewhat of a brute force method for piecing things together - I thought there was some kind of elegant mechanism where you could edit make.conf or something, so that when you did a make world, it would skip the components that you didn't want to - and you could control it with much more granularity than you can in the custom menu in sysinstall ... does this sound familiar at all ?

That is, forget that I am doing solid state / flash at all - what is the correct way to install FreeBSD without things like ppp, isdn, and other pieces of the _base_ system that you don't want ?

thanks.