PicoBSD diskless embedded 'where to start'

Richard P. Williamson richard.williamson at u4eatech.com
Mon Feb 9 01:18:30 PST 2004

At 19:02 06/02/2004, Cybertime Hostmaster wrote:
>> >m0n0BSD is another good choice from what I have seen.
>>
>> FreeBSD vs Linux decision made prior to my hire...
>
>m0n0BSD is a FreeBSD child, so it fits within that requirement.
>
>Personally there are many reasons I like FreeBSD over LINUX, some of which
>are practical ones.  But here is something to keep in mind if you are more
>comfortable with LINUX: FreeBSD has LINUX compatibity support.

Actually, I'm a VxWorks guy.  No experience with either linux or
*BSD so this is a by-my-bootstraps level of problem.

>A couple other things to think about with m0n0BSD.  Like the link provided
>by Richard for Pico shows, m0n0 is built on a more modern kernel.  His
>link references the 4.3 for Pico, and m0n0 presently uses the 4.9.

That's actually closer to what I'm using at the moment (4.8R) so
it begins to look more and more interesting.

>http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html

I'll check that out today, also.

TFTI

Regards,
Richard
Richard Williamson           richard.williamson at u4eatech.com
U4EA Technologies Ltd                   +44 (0) 117 373 6760
Bristol, UK   BS1 6PL                                  x5030