PicoBSD diskless embedded 'where to start'

Bruce R. Montague brucem at mail.cruzio.com
Thu Feb 5 19:18:11 PST 2004

I just built a picobsd "bridge" configuration on a
4.9-Stable system, and it seems to boot and run fine. I
commented out all the "sshd" references in "crunch.conf"
as this configuration appears to expect that the picobsd
sshd port has previously been built.

The entire build took about a minute. It was almost faster
than the time taken to write the floppy image to the
floppy.

The compressed kernel, containing everything, on the floppy
was about 1.2 Mbytes. The same uncompressed kernel was
around 3.7 Mbytes.

If you need to make your own picobsd, this may be one
way to start. It may be more helpful to consider picobsd
a kernel build wrapper tool than a specific "system".

I used to routinely keep 2 picobsd systems on M-Systems
8 Mbyte Disk-On-Chip flash devices, maybe they don't
make them anymore. Looks like this could still be done,
just barely.

 - bruce