Making less

Chad R. Larson chad at DCFinc.com
Fri Dec 12 14:19:08 PST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:13:08PM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Cybertime Hostmaster wrote:
> > > There is also a freebsd project called m0n0wall (
> > > http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/ ) that has a very small footprint, you could
> > > possibly build from that.
> >
> > Been trying, but have not had too much luck yet.
> >
> > Main problem seems to be that I am jumping into two things at once,
> > compiling custom FreeBSD installs, and micro installs.
> >
> > So far I can compile EVERYTHING, but it does not seem very clear what is
> > needed to cut that down to a smaller, friendlier size.

Try looking at
  http://www.neon1.net/

There are two areas that you will find interesting.  One is the
"miniBSD" project, which was to do what you've been talking about
(reducing the FreeBSD footprint).

The second is "m0n0BSD", which builds on the above to create a
FreeBSD suitable for embedded systems booting off Compact Flash.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad at dcfinc.com         chad at larsons.org          larson1 at home.com