sysrc bug

Fas Xmut fasxmut at protonmail.com
Sat May 29 11:53:59 UTC 2021

I don't know if it is a security bug or not. When I use sysrc today, the error operations emptied my /etc/rc.conf, that's a small disaster, because my /etc/rc.conf is updated day by day, but now, it is empty.

First, change your default root shell to sh/ksh or their derived shell. (I have tested, csh will not trigger that bug).

Second, backup /etc/rc.conf to any other place.

Then do the following commands:

# sysrc something_enable="NO"
# sysrc something_enable="YES
> "
awk: newline in string YES
... at source line 1
something_enable: NO -> YES

Now see what is inside /etc/rc.conf ? Everything is empty! only one thing in it: