ASLR/PIE status in FreeBSD HEAD

Ed Maste emaste at freebsd.org
Mon May 4 15:12:06 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 at 11:38, Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:

> > I was thinking if it is possible to come up with such wide test
> > coverage to test every single application from the base system. Do you
> > think it is achievable or should we rather follow the approach to do
> > as many tests as possible, but rely on the community feedback to catch
> > the corner cases (like the ntpd issue mentioned in this thread)?
> > What about the ports?
>
> If we gate on full testing we'll never move forward.  We had a GSoC
> project a few years ago to try to generate lame tests for each program,
> if someone picked that up, we could get better coverage fairly
> quickly, but it would still be far from complete.

Indeed, having a basic smoke test for as much of the base system as
possible is a good initial step. I suspect it won't take very long to
have confidence in turning on options for the base system, but ports
will be a much longer process.

For ports I think the first thing that needs to happen is to have some
infrastructure in ports itself to allow individual ports to indicate
(via elfctl) that they are not compatible with certain options; with
that in place it should be trivial to start marking individual ports.