Improved PIE binary tooling

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne at heuristicsystems.com.au
Fri Jun 5 00:15:12 UTC 2020

Thank-you Ed.  Though I have two questions:

1. We've recompiled all the ports I use with either -fPIC or -fPIE and
the linker flag -pie. Is there something required for ports to utilise
these changes, or are the changes only in the mk files affecting the
base system build?

2. I've also taken advantage of employing -fstack-clash-protection,
unfortunately this is currently only available via gcc (we're using gcc9
at the moment).  Does the fact that we use gcc9 and binutils 2.33.1
influence the outcome of your changes?

Regards, Dewayne
PS an interesting aside, there are a surprising number of ports that use
the _FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 so the application developers are well
intentioned, a nice (though futile) effort, because libc doesn't have
the *_chk macros.  At least we're all heading in the right direction to
deny malcontents easy unauthorised access. :)