Old Stuff

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Thu Jul 25 15:13:22 UTC 2019

Robert Simmons wrote:
> I wonder if FreeBSD should drop support for 32bit? Clean out and remove all
> of it. It should make the code base easier to maintain, cleaner, and safer.

I should just *plonk* .. not going to though... because I'm curious,
have you actually written, edited or even reviewed code?  Especially OS
code? I'm going to tell you now you might as well treat the questions as
non-rhetorical because I'm not going to read the reply.  There are too
many embedded devices using 32 bit to even take this seriously. (hint:
consider what you gain or lose by designing low power/low heat/low
resource devices on 32 and 64 bit.. especially when they don't have
storage systems (hard drives) and any more than a few hundred *meg* of RAM.)

> In this same vein, let's deprecate and remove things like telnet and ftp.

This is neither here nor there as they are available in Ports.

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/