disable wlan/wifi

Lucas Nali de Magalhães rollingbits at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 18:36:06 UTC 2019

Hi.

I started a bug report to request a way to disable wlan/wifi but I think I'm better writing here first: my inability to disable wlan/wifi is becoming a security issue for me here (I'm still learning how to use the Bugzilla web interface).

Long story short: wifi never goes away. Please help.

I disable the services I don't use since ages. Never stopped to think about wifi use until I needed it recently, though. So I thought that if I don't configure it stays out of use (waiting for a configuration). But I found that it's always used if it was found, and the drive loads a default configuration if not said otherwise. Both the default configuration (that is wrong for my side of the planet) and the default on option is an issue for me. The default on is an issue because it created an interface that went unobserved until it was needed.

When the wifi drive is loaded it loads the wlan stack and configures the hardware. And because I'm not on USA the default configuration is not right for me. More than that, the drive is both a little unstable and a little limited. My keyboard has a key combination to disable wifi but the drive (urtw on FreeBSD 12) don't have an option to be disabled. That said, I expect to not create a storm when I do my request. I think this is a security issue because this enables exploits of the wireless/network stacks without administrator intervention.

All this been said, I still need to say that I'm about to move and this computer will probably stay off for a long time after that.

Lc

--
rollingbits — 📧 rollingbits at gmail.com 📧 rollingbits at terra.com.br 📧 rollingbits at yahoo.com 📧 rollingbits at globo.com 📧 rollingbits at icloud.com