Response to Meltdown and Spectre

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Fri Jan 12 18:52:09 UTC 2018

At 11:26 AM 1/12/2018, Mike Tancsa wrote:

>"The code will be selectable via a tunable which ..." Perhaps wait for
>the final product.
>
>         ---Mike

Yes, I will be eagerly awaiting the final patch! In the meantime, I
have located some architectural information about the latest Intel
Atoms which indicates that they are not vulnerable even without the
patch. As the article at

https://www.anandtech.com/show/6936/intels-silvermont-architecture-revealed-getting-serious-about-mobile/2

from AnandTech (among other sources) explains, even the Atoms that
do OOE only do it on wholly register-based operations. This means
that operations which are accelerated and then conditionally
committed later cannot affect the cache. So, no processor from the
Atom family should be susceptible to Meltdown or Spectre, and the
extra security measures can safely be turned off automatically on
all of them. This would be a big help to those of us who would
otherwise have to recompile the kernel and/or set a special tunable.

--Brett Glass