Potential band-aid for Meltdown

Eric McCorkle eric at metricspace.net
Thu Jan 4 15:52:55 UTC 2018

I was thinking over meltdown mitigations this morning, and a thought
occurred to me (which falls in line with general ideas I've been pursuing)

This is a Crowd Supply project I've been eyeing:

https://www.crowdsupply.com/rhs-research/nanoevb

It's basically an FPGA that can plug into an M.2 slot.  One potential
use of this could be to use it as an off-die crypto unit, thereby
keeping keys out of memory.  I don't know what the driver situation
looks like for this thing, but as its an open hardware project, I doubt
it would be too hard to get support up and running.

I realize it's not a perfect solution by far, but it would provide some
level of mitigation (especially for things like GELI) that could hold
people over until they can replace their hardware.