freebsd-security Digest, Vol 634, Issue 3

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Thu Oct 19 16:07:21 UTC 2017

> In this case, for a low-tech people, I would tend to suggest using SFTP
> (a password-based access is enough) instead of a stunneled SMB share as
> I personally find it is easier to setup and more efficient.

If you have an ssh server (if you have FreeBSD, you have one), that will
function as a SFTP or SCP server. Put it on an alternative port if possible,
and for the client end, use WinSCP, Fugu on a Mac (I think it's Fugu..), and
for BSD/Linux/smartphones you have any number of client apps to choose from.
Easy peasy, a familiar 2-pane GUI FTP layout, very secure.

--
Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant