http subversion URLs should be discontinued in favor of https URLs

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Sun Dec 10 23:20:16 UTC 2017

John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Michelle Sullivan wrote this message on Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 21:29 +1100:
>> Sorry you want to ensure a secure (trusted) connection you do it
>> yourself.  You go through other nodes (switches and routers of the
> So you're fine w/ all the Comcast users having to switch ISPs?  Because
> Comcast modifies traffic.

Sure, my ISP in Australia modifies some traffic (how much I don't know
because I haven't looked deeply) first detection of it I setup
mitigation to secure my connection from tampering... where I care about it.

In my case they disabled https access so they could MITM... All my
http(s) traffic now goes through a proxy, and all my network traffic now
exits over a VPN connection to my network in a DC which hosts the top of
my proxy server chain.

>   So you're now saying that if you use FreeBSD
> you can't use Comcast as your ISP?

No, I'm saying if you can't trust ${ISP} to give you your FreeBSD source
untampered with, you should not use ${ISP} as your ISP... don't give a
t*** who ${ISP} is, if you can't trust it, don't use it or mitigate your
trust issues by doing like me.

This argument is circular and pointless, if ${User} is downloading and
compiling FreeBSD from source there is a pretty good chance they know a
little more about Tor than 'I heard this app will allow me anonymity'...
Seriously, you want anonymity and safety I have a device that I'll send
you for free... Its lightweight and simple, it consists of two metal
blades with a pivot in the middle.

Michelle