Two Dumb Questions

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Mon Sep 26 08:08:08 UTC 2016

Ronald F. Guilmette, and lo! it spake thus:

> Here's my point:  If you really have already managed to become the
> man-in-the-middle anyway, then couldn't you just dummy up any and
> all responses, including those for DNS, in such a way as to make it
> all appear to the victim that everything was "normal", you know,
> such that he can see the cute little padlock symbol to the left of
> the URL in the browser?

Dummying up DNS responses is probably the way you got the user to your
site in the first place; that would often be easier than trying to
intercept their TCP 80/443 web connect tries.  But they're not gonna
get the cute little padlock unless the browser is happy with the cert,
which is going to mean either the user accepts it through the
increasingly-irritating-and-dire warnings, or it's signed by some CA
the browser accepts.

So, you'd either need to get one of the umpteen common CA's to give
you one, or sneak an extra CA into their browser (and if you could do
that latter, you could bypass a lot of the spoofing work anyway).

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net