Trying to think out a hack for NSS and pw(8)

Jan Mikkelsen janm at transactionware.com
Sat Sep 10 07:37:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

We have system images under version control with password databases as part of the system image which get merged with system-specific password databases. Not exactly the same requirement but similar.

We manage the two separate databases using the -V option to pw, and then have a script to merge the two databases into the standard local database. This runs on boot to bring in changes from the system image build, and after a local system change to apply the change. The problem with your environment is probably that you’re calling getpwnam, etc., where you can’t specify which password database you want to use.

If you changed the code that should only view local changes to use “pw -V /path/to/local usershow” instead of calling getpw*(), a similar approach might be possible.

Regards,

Jan.