[patch] libcrypt & friends - modular crypt format support in /etc/login.conf

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sat Feb 14 17:33:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 07:26:07AM -0500 I heard the voice of
Derek (freebsd lists), and lo! it spake thus:

> 2. introduces a new api, crypt_makesalt which will generate an
> appropriate salt for any algorithm selected

It has been an endlessly-repeated source of pain to me that there
isn't a standard API for this, and it's just been into the wound[0]
that there isn't even a NON-standard one, and so I have to guess and
re-implement any time I want to use crypt(3) for anything except
/etc/passwd.  Of course, I want it in non-C, but one problem at a
time...

If you accomplish nothing else with this, I'll happily fall at your
feet just for this     8-}

[0] By a hydraulic press, I think.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net