Quarterly packages and security updates...

Bryan Drewery bdrewery at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 25 23:02:21 UTC 2015

On 8/13/2015 2:15 PM, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 05:01:29PM -0400, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 08:40:23PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
>>
>>> [info@ removed, not sure why that email address was included.]
>>
>> I'm hoping for pressure from above, as this is an important step that's
>> evidently being taken without quarterly branch security being bumped up in
>> priority. It seems to come as a surprise to many folks, and certainly I
>> wasn't aware of it until last week. (Also, board@ is now deprecated.)
>>

> "Putting pressure" isn't the role of the Foundation.
>
> Quarterly package builds happen every few days (two, if I remember
> correctly), and as I was writing this reply, and updated package set for
> 10.x i386 was made available.

[I run the package builds]

Correct, two.

I think the biggest problem is just the frequency of builds. The items
listed in the `pkg audit' output are normally backported to the
quarterly branch quickly.

I am exploring ways of making the quarterly builds run multiples times
per day.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery