Speed and security of /dev/urandom

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Mon Jul 21 01:54:33 UTC 2014

<<On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 17:02:09 -0400 (EDT), Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk at MIT.EDU> said:

> I think there is a lot of value in providing a syscall interface which can
> be the default way for applications to retrieve random bits.

The OpenBSD guys have proposed a new posix_XXXX_random() family of
interfaces (XXXX being undecided as yet) to the Austin Group,
specifically for this purpose.  We should implement it.  (It need not
be a direct system-call interface, but for security it should not rely
on being able to open any particular file or device.)

-GAWollman