Speed and security of /dev/urandom

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at MIT.EDU
Sat Jul 19 22:25:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Steven Chamberlain wrote:

> Or if we're worried about draining entropy too quickly from the CSPRNG,
> a non-privileged user could do that anyway from /dev/urandom, or it may
> happen when a server doing crypto work is under stress?

Can we please disabuse ourselves of the notion that entropy can be
"drained too quickly" (or even drained at all) from the CSPRNG?  Once
properly seeded, it produces unpredictable bits.  Period.  It does not
matter how many bits are output (well, for achievable quantities of
output); the bits are still unpredictable.

-Ben