Request for review: Sandboxing dhclient using Capsicum.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 11 19:31:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 06:07:17PM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 09, 2013 at 12:33:46AM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > I'd appreciate any review, especially security audit of the proposed
> > changes. The new and most critical function is probably send_packet_priv().
>
> I've looked over the diff and not found any significant issues, but have
> a few comments in order of most to least important.
>
> In change 229477 using a cached hostname may change behavior if the host
> is renamed as a result of dhclient operation.  The new behavior might be
> more correct, at least it would be if we reliably restored the host name
> on termination.  I think the change is fine, but we should be keep an
> eye out for problem reports.

Yes, I'm aware of that possibility, I just don't think this is a big deal.
The hostname could be changed right after sending discover/request and
it will take a long while before the new one is send.

> In change 229476 I noticed there is a constant 0x1fff that you've moved
> around.  It was already there, but it seems like an unnecessary magic
> number.

I agree, but I was trying to avoid changes not strictly related to
sandboxing. It was very hard to resist, belive me. For example I started
removing 'ifi' global variable, which I really don't like, but decided
to leave it for now (later I only changed variable name in disassoc()
that shadowed this global variable).

> In the send_packet_* function declarations in dhcpd.h, you have included
> variable names which is inconsistent with the surrounding definitions.

Fixed.

Thanks for the review!

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://mobter.com