getting the running patch level

Brett Glass brett at lariat.org
Thu Aug 9 22:00:43 UTC 2012

Yes, uname -v will work. Unfortunately, it has an annoying side effect. If one tries
to use the "sysinstall" program to install binary packages, it will fail when
a system patched by freebsd-update tries to access the FTP server, because the FTP
server doesn't know about patch levels.

One must MANUALLY go to the Options screen and remove the patch level
(-p3, -p4 or whatever) from the version string before one can install a binary
package.

I realize that sysinstall is deprecated in favor of the new installer, but
the new installer doesn't have the ability to install binary packages.
Until and unless there's a convenient menu-based installer for binary
packages, would it be possible to fix this glitch?

--Brett Glass