PAM modules

Xin LI delphij at delphij.net
Wed Sep 21 17:36:35 UTC 2011

On 09/21/11 10:10, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 08:42:48AM -0500, Brooks Davis wrote:

>>> That happen a few times however these are either not essential
>>> client library (libldap and liblber) API or it's not changing
>>> parameters or removing interfaces.  Moreover, like the base
>>> libbsdxml.so, it's only intended to be used by base system only
>>> so it's relatively easier to maintain ABI stability, e.g. we
>>> can probably just expose only symbols that we use, etc.

>>> That's right.  We did use a similar approach but again, if it's
>>> just libldap and liblber, the change would be quite slow over
>>> years.  We do need to patch files.

>>> Well, for ldap nss + pam models, people usually want them to
>>> "just work" rather than wanting new features provided by a port
>>> installed OpenLDAP.  That's said, the user expects he can
>>> update any port without risking into being locked out from the
>>> system plus these modules can be upgraded or updated with
>>> existing binary update mechanisms.
>>
>> This is certainly the largest benefit.  I used a variant of
>> pam_ldap for authentication at $WORK for many years and the
>> instability of the OpenLDAP API was a constant headache.
>>
>> That isn't to say that importing it into base is the only
>> possible solution.  It is likely the most straightforward.
>>

> Base package system that comes pre-installed ? or just ships with
> the discs ?

Well first and most important, someone will need to implement that,
but to be more specific there are a lot of issues that needs to be
solved like:

 - How to update your system?  LPK patchset for instance needs to be a
part of OpenSSH (not a loadable module) so we end up with a modified
sshd binary.  "make installworld" need to know and don't patch it;
 - How to patch your system?  A mechanism like freebsd-update needs to
be implemented for these essential security services;
 - How to update these "base packages"?  There need to be a way that
is no harder than 'make installworld' in my opinion.

That's said, all these are not impossible without direct base system
integration, but integration is the most straightforward way at this
moment.

Cheers,
- --
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net>	https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve!		Live free or die