FIPS compliant openssl possible within the FreeBSD build systems?

jw011235 jw011235 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 03:49:04 UTC 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 7:20 PM, Alexander Sack wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 5:16 PM, jw011235 <jw011235 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> For all the imports I did of OpenSSL to the FreeBSD base system
>>> (which
>>> means any OpenSSL import since FreeBSD 7.0), the PGP key for the
>>> source tar
>>> was verified. That said, in the FreeBSD base system totally
>>> replace the
>>> OpenSSL build system and 'manually' apply fixes for the OpenSSL
>>> security
>>> issues we certainly don't build OpenSSL unmodified.
>>>
>>> I never had a reason to look at OpenSSL FIPS, so I don't really
>>> know if
>>> it's possible to get it working on FreeBSD, but it's possible you
>>> can
>>> manually build and install stock OpenSSL by hand.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Simon L. B. Nielsen
>>> Hats: Ex-OpenSSL maintainer, FreeBSD Deputy Security Officer

>> I've been running OpenSSL FIPS for several years now on FreeBSD so
>> it's
>> certainly possible. It's not terribly hard to compile but I
>> wouldn't do it
>> through the ports. Download the source ( I used the 0.9 source )
>> and FIPS
>> instructions and compile by hand.
>>
>> Certifying your installation through NIST is an entirely different
>> matter.
>> My company elected to put off the process until we had a contract
>> to justify
>> the expense and time involved. You'll have to dig for it, but the
>> NIST
>> website has details on the process.
>
> Wait, is NIST cert required to be FIPS capable?  I don't think so.
>
> -aps

Using the OpenSSL FIPS code is not enough to claim your products or
services built upon it are FIPS 140-2 certified. You have to go
through the certification process with NIST since they are responsible
for the specification. There's a disclaimer with the OpenSSL FIPS
instructions and source which basically states as much. I suppose you
could claim that you are FIPS 140-2 compliant but I'm not a legal
expert and don't know what you may or may not claim in terms of FIPS
compliance or "capability".

If you're working with the U.S Government or subcontracting to someone
who is, you will eventually need the certification to seal the deal
for full funding (or at least be going through the certification
process), otherwise, how would they know you meet the specification?
(three letter agencies tend to be sticklers for wanting proof of that
sort of thing :P) If you're not doing business with Uncle Sam then no
problem, but then why bother with FIPS 140-2? It's basically a pain.
YMMV, but that's your business.

Regards,
Jason Williams